making deals with M$

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Jun 8 00:01:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:20:05 -0400 "Mark Fink" <mpfink at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:04:02 -0400 "Mark Fink" <mpfink at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>I just read this article:
>>>http://boycottnovell.com/2008/06/07/ubuntu-remix-codecs/
>>>
>>>I hope this is wrong or I will have to stop using ubuntu and find
>>>another distro to use. Such a shame...
>>>
>>>Hope you are all proud of yourselves.
>>>

>> Note that is a remix of Ubuntu (i.e. a derivative) and not Ubuntu itself.
>> Canonical != Ubuntu.  If you want to stop using Ubuntu because its
primary
>> corporate sponsor may have licensed something from Microsoft to use in
some
>> other product, knock yourself out.
>>
>> Scott K
>
>Just like OpenSuSE != Novell, but no one in their right mind would
>want to run that distro due to the taint for the same reason!
>
>As Roy Schestowitz says, this is just as bad as Moonlight!
>
>Mark

Not at all.  I came to Ubuntu from opensuse because I got tired of being
viewed as nothing more than an SLES beta tester.  While Canonical does have
other products, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Ubuntu Server are products that Canonical
sells support for, not an free precursor to what they view as an actual
product.

Once again, if decline to use a distro sponsored by a company that also has
other proprietary products, knock yourself out.  That remix is NOT Ubuntu.

Scott K