Should default keyboard be based on location?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 6 23:02:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:08:36AM +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 27/05/2008 alle 01.07 +0100, Colin Watson ha scritto:
> >
> > Fortunately, it is. Installations selecting a location in the UK
> > default
> > to a UK keyboard mapping; installations selecting a location in Italy
> > default to an Italian keyboard mapping.
> >
> > (It's not difficult to test this before posting; boot a desktop CD in
> > kvm or whatever and run through up to the keyboard selection page with
> > the locale of your choice.)
> >

> The OP was talking about kubuntu, I replied assuming that in kubuntu
> this is a problem (I have not looked at it recently) and replied
> accordingly :) Sorry for any noise I caused.

This is true for Kubuntu as well.

In the specific case mentioned, the location was in Canada.  I believe this
came up years ago when this feature was being implemented, and the consensus
was that US was the most common keyboard layout in that region, despite
there being a layout called "Canadian".

--
 - mdz