GUI-based Ubuntu Server Project FKA Disappointed with Ubuntu Server, could be used by such a wider audience

Bud Roth junk at taiotoshi.org
Thu Jul 31 20:03:57 UTC 2008

Excuse me for changing the subject.  I know that's "bad netiquette", but
the old title was too negative.  You've identified a need for a new
product, not a shortcoming in Ubuntu Server.  Ubuntu Server is a great
server base for installing Apache, postfix, etc.  It is not web- or
GUI-based and many would not like to see that functionality added.

I think that this is the sort of proposal that is best handled at ubuntu
Brainstorm.  The idea has merit and it would provide new users
uncomfortable with the command line a way to build and deploy servers
for home use or whatever.

I'd throw in that Ubuntu really needs its own version of *@~ (asterisk
at home, redubbed trick box).  This is an Asterisk server ready-to-go
based on the CentOS distro.  VOIP has huge growth potential and Ubuntu
should be, IMHO, a leader in providing ready-to-go solutions.  I'd love
to see Canonical team up with Digium and maybe a hardware manufacturer
to build a complete read-to-go asterisk server based on Ubuntu with
cards all ready to go.

FYI, Brainstorm's link is here...

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

Good idea, though, I like it...