Disappointed with Ubuntu Server, could be used by such a wider audience

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:50:04 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Remco <remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same sentiments. How does a normal computer user set up a
> web server, music server, file server, or a mail server with the
> current Ubuntu? I think Ubuntu server should come with an X11-based
> configuration GUI (and a comparable Web GUI) that lets you configure
> these things in a few clicks, and then shut down X. Or keep X running.
> X is very lightweight.

For specific information on configuring Ubuntu Server see the Ubuntu Server
Guide [1].  If there are some subjects that are not covered that should be,
I'd be glad to review any contributions.  See the Server Team Knowledge Base
page for some quick instructions for contributing to the Server Guide [2]

Including X on Ubuntu Server has been debated multiple times.  If you'd like
to install a GUI on Ubuntu Server see the ServerGui wiki page [3].  Also,
for remote web management you might take a look at eBox, and for just Apache
GUI management the rapache project has been created.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html
[2]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#head-0ae127e06ffba31c94b458fbef6eb033e5d8461e
[3] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI