Disappointed with Ubuntu Server, could be used by such a wider audience

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Jul 31 17:01:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:14:06PM -0700, Anthony Watters wrote:
> The Ubuntu server should come in two offerings; i.e. the unfriendly existing
> Ubuntu server, and, more importantly to the masses, a friendly pre-configured
> Ubuntu server that uses SME Server (http://smeserver.com) and ClarkConnect
> (http://clarkconnect.com) as a starting point only not crippled, and much
> better.

Thanks for the input.  Note that's the wrong URL for the CentOS-based
SME Server, aka E-smith.  See

 http://www.smeserver.org/
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SME_Server
 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=smeserver

Many of us agree that a really friendly Ubuntu offering for the home
or small business server market is a high priority, and we've been
tossing around ideas for some time now.  What we really need is more
testers and contributors to eBox, and some more upgraded specs along
the lines of

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuEasyBusinessServer
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EboxSpec

Please join the Server Team and get involved!

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/