Can Evolution calendar reminders pop-up automatically?

Tim Zakharov tzakharov at charter.net
Sat Jul 26 13:51:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 09:39 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 05:57 -0700, Tim Zakharov wrote:
> > Have Ubuntu developers modified this behavior as someone on the
> > Evolution mailing list suggested?  Can someone help me get Evolution
> > to behave in the manner I am looking for?
>
> I think the behavior you're seeing is the default behavior for
> Evolution.
>
> If you want a direct popup, I think you need to install separate
> packages for that on Ubuntu.  Maybe those other distros install those
> packages by default.
>
> Try using Synaptic to add the "mail-notification" and
> "mail-notification-evolution" packages.  Note that these are part of the
> Universe repository so if you haven't enabled that, you'll need to do
> so.
>
> If you have problems let us know.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I already have both of those installed and
configured.  I'm not sure, but I believe those packages only detail with
email, not calendar events.

I believe the notification icon that appears when I have a calendar
event pending is part of evolution-alarm-notify, which I do have enabled
in my Sessions.  Is evolution-alarm-notify specific to Ubuntu?  Perhaps
that is where the issue lies.

Thanks again for your help.  I would love to get this resolved, as I
love how well Evolution integrates into the Gnome desktop.