Feature Request: Better partitioning wizard

John Dong john.dong at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:43:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 10:12 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> The possibility for error with resizing partitions is why I think LVM
> would be a good thing; however, from what I hear, LVM is pretty buggy
> on Ubuntu.

I strongly disagree on both counts -- LVM still relies on filesystem
resizing features, which are still risky. Even with the so-called
"reliable" ext3, I've lost several filesystems due to on-the-fly
resizing, either because of the process being interrupted by a freeze /
power outage or for other inexplicable reasons. I wouldn't consider LVM
a good workaround for fixing partitioning mistakes later -- it only
makes it a LITTLE less difficult to work around. This also requires a
separate /boot partition, which could land you back at this same problem
anyway.

Also, I've not experienced any kind of bugginess with LVM. I use LVM on
most of my systems.

John