Feature Request: Better partitioning wizard

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:12:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Creating a separate /home requires a fairly significant piece of
> knowledge up-front: namely, how do you split the available disk space?
> It is my belief that inexperienced users will typically not have the
> information to make an informed decision here, and this problem is
> compounded by the fact that changing your mind post-installation is
> extremely difficult - resizing and moving partitions is a pain. Thus we
> felt it best *not* to offer this option in the installer, in order to
> avoid encouraging users to dig themselves into a hole from which it will
> be difficult to recover later.

The possibility for error with resizing partitions is why I think LVM
would be a good thing; however, from what I hear, LVM is pretty buggy
on Ubuntu.  Aside from that, I don't think there's any GUI way to
configure LVM yet, and that'd sort of be a necessity before we could
say "look, it's separate, but you can resize it" without needing a "if
you're a command line guru" disclaimer.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169