LTS and release methodology

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Jul 8 18:11:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:24:46AM -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
>  Then take into account
> the drivers.  If he's using a closed source driver, it could be the
> driver's fault, and how would we prove that?  And if it's Nvidia, good
> luck getting them to respond to a bug report telling them that their
> newer drivers broke VGA out.

I'd like to address the responsibility of the hardware manufactures as
a major aspect of the problem.  It is important for us to test and
report bugs to Ubuntu and the xorg folks.  But it is also important
for us to report issues to the hardware manufacturers and tell them
we'd like them to do open source development and testing if they want
folks to buy their hardware.  If we all think "they'll just ignore me"
than no one will write to them and they'll think it isn't an issue.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/