LTS and release methodology

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:24:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia at di.unipi.it> wrote:
>>> 2) What about adding some basic hardware testing to these test cases?
>>> For example, vga out support never survives a release or two before
>>> being killed by X progressing, in my experience, but it is very
>>> important for the whole academic community which is one of the primary
>>> targets of linux-based environments at the moment. As of now, I own
>>> three different laptops, of different ages. For different bugs none of
>>> them can project on a VGA projector in hardy, and ALL of them have been
>>> able in past releases. This gives a very bad impression of ubuntu to
>>> newcomers.
>>
>> And whatever changes in Xorg broke VGA for you fixed it for a bunch of
>> us.  For the first time ever, I have VGA out.
>
> And do you really think that it was impossible to fix it without
> breaking stuff for others?

I'm sure there's a way to make them all work, but it's not surprising
to me that in changing Xorg around to make VGA work on one chip it'd
break it for another chip.  The driver that's in use has to have some
effect, and the code would have to be very very specific on how to
handle each combination of model and driver.  Then take into account
the drivers.  If he's using a closed source driver, it could be the
driver's fault, and how would we prove that?  And if it's Nvidia, good
luck getting them to respond to a bug report telling them that their
newer drivers broke VGA out.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169