No "run" menu item?

Milosz Derezynski internalerror at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 12:42:05 UTC 2008

I also don't understand the reasoning behind this. If anything then it feels
like adding another layer of obscurity.

Binaries HAVE names. There's just no way around it. The fact that MOST of
the time, a user doesn't need it (the menu item) shouldn't be used as
justification that for the few cases he does, it's overly complicated for
him to find a means to do so.

In every other tutorial to do something that is just slightly beyond
starting Firefox, Totem or OpenOffice.org Write there is a line of "now run
the command <thisandthatcommand>", and unexperienced users will search for a
way, just to find none by themselves.

Why not remove ALT+F2 altogether? Removing only the menu item for, as it
seems, cosmetic reasons seems a little vain.

Please note that according to the German law on data retention,
information on every electronic information exchange with me is
retained for a period of six months.
[Bitte beachten Sie, dass dem Gesetz zur Vorratsdatenspeicherung zufolge
jeder elektronische Kontakt mit mir sechs Monate lang gespeichert wird.]