Need to upgrade apache2 and php5 for security reasons

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Tue Jul 1 15:13:35 UTC 2008

hi christian,

(sending follow-up to -discuss as requested by scott)

my impression is in line with scott's, that they probably did some kind of
generic check/audit and compared that the version was less than "the latest".

i would strongly, strongly, advise against leaving the package management
system and "rolling your own" to get the latest.  php upstream does not make
distinction between security-only releases and new-feature releases, and it
is often the case that a new version (even a point-release) will introduce
new bugs/regressions/security issues.  the solution for the new regressions
is to either wait for yet another release, wherein you repeat the above
procedure, or "install from latest CVS", which should make the skin crawl for
any sysadmin worth their pay.

furthermore, you have the issues with any other systems change: new versions
may break compatibility with previously working applications and installed
software, etc.

the packaged versions of php recieve official security support from
the "vendor" (in this case debian/ubuntu) with reviewed, tested, and
isolated,  fixes.  this is similar to what is done in other "enterprise"
distributions, such as redhat/suse, which also do not use "the latest
version".  i would argue that as long as you do not require something from a
newer version, this is the optimal configuration.

	sean
	(debian php package maintainer)