metashell - User Friendly Shell

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Sun Jan 27 16:50:08 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:10:58PM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> On 27/01/2008, Forest Bond <forest at alittletooquiet.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 02:01:56AM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> > > Seems like you could achieve much the same thing by having command
> > > (let's call it "o" for open so it's nice and short) that checks the
> > > mime-type of it's argument and opens it according to user preferences.
> >
> > This already exists.  It's called "see", "edit", etc...
> >
> > Honestly, a whole shell to get functionality that's been around for how long...?
>
> Absolutely.

[...]

> "open" seems to be the obvious choice of name for such a tool but for
> me, it's a symlink to openvt. Is there a good reason for openvt to be
> holding this valuable name or is it just historical. The fact that
> it's a symlink makes me think that someone has already tried to free
> up "open". Maybe that could be completed and a discoverable,
> alternatives-based "open" command could take it's place,

Are you advocating the creation of a program called "open"?

Perhaps I was not clear before.  What you are looking for already exists, and it
is called "see" (or, perhaps more appropriately, "edit").  These tools pull data
from mailcap.

If you want it called "open", how about:

alias open=see

BTW, what's with the huge CC list?  I trimmed it.  I doubt very much that the
entire human race is interested in this discussion.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net