Automatically sync new packages until feature freeze

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Jan 20 22:19:58 UTC 2008

On 20/01/08 at 18:43 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wouter Stomp [2008-01-19 21:13 +0100]:
> > Currently the automatic import of new packages from debian stops at
> > the debianimportfreeze, which is very early in the release schedule.
> > After that, sync requests have to be filed and acknowledged, which is
> > a lot of unneccessary work I think and causes packages for which no
> > requests are filed not to be in ubuntu, while they could have been.
> > Would it be possible to automatically sync new packages in debian
> > unstable until featurefreeze (or even later)?
>
> Technically this is not a problem at all.
>
> For discussing/changing the policy I'd recommend you to raise this
> with the Technical Board.
>
> </officialy speaking>
>
> My own opinion: I tend to agree. It would steamline the job of
> requesters and archive admins, and completely new packages are mostly
> harmless. Since universe already has a magnitude more packages that
> MOTUs can handle, it doesn't make the maintainability situation
> significantly worse, eases source package renaming/lost build deps,
> etc.

I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea, but what about doing the same for
packages which aren't a new upstream release? If the Debian maintainer
uploaded a new debian-specific version, it's likely to be a bug-fixing
upload. It might be harder to automatize, but still...
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |