tracking down suspend/hibernate bugs?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 15 22:35:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 16:30 -0500, Paul S wrote:
> Matthew Garrett said the following on 01/15/2008 01:59 PM:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:30:13AM -0500, Paul S wrote:
> >
> >> This is not good.  I  had a kernel update so had to reboot anyway.  Now
> >> I find that even Fn-Esc does not work.  The only way to suspend is by
> >> konsole with "sudo pm-suspend" and it still works ok.  The
> >> kde-power-manager menu "suspend" does not work. either nor the keyboard
> >> "sleep" button.
> >
> > Ok. Sounds like KDE is failing to respond to the sleep button signal.
> > I'm afraid I've no expertise beyond this point.
> >

> Ok, I switched over to gdm and gnome and have similar problems.  It
> suspends but does not resume.  So, I've been trying to work it out in a
> terminal.  What I've discovered is that I can enter this and it works:
>
> sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vga-mode3
> --quirk-reset-brightness --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore
> --quirk-vbestate-restore
>
> However, when I hit the suspend button, hal initiates the quirks in this
> different order:
>
> --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vbemode-restore
> --quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-reset-brightness

paul, how did you find out that the suspend button initiates quirks in
the order you describe?

> Now that I know that, is there someplace I can config which quirks are
> called and in what order?

take a look
at /usr/share/hal/scripts/linux/hal-syspem-power-suspend-linux & related
scripts -- the $QUIRK variable is built up in these scripts
progressively; all you would need to do is to alter the order in which
that's done.  you might also want to submit a patch or at least
bugreport to upstream, as i imagine no one's especially wedded to the
order of those quirks.

matt

--
Matt Price