tracking down suspend/hibernate bugs?

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 21:30:24 UTC 2008

Matthew Garrett said the following on 01/15/2008 01:59 PM:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:30:13AM -0500, Paul S wrote:
>
>> This is not good.  I  had a kernel update so had to reboot anyway.  Now
>> I find that even Fn-Esc does not work.  The only way to suspend is by
>> konsole with "sudo pm-suspend" and it still works ok.  The
>> kde-power-manager menu "suspend" does not work. either nor the keyboard
>> "sleep" button.
>
> Ok. Sounds like KDE is failing to respond to the sleep button signal.
> I'm afraid I've no expertise beyond this point.

Ok, I switched over to gdm and gnome and have similar problems.  It
suspends but does not resume.  So, I've been trying to work it out in a
terminal.  What I've discovered is that I can enter this and it works:

sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vga-mode3
--quirk-reset-brightness --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore
--quirk-vbestate-restore

However, when I hit the suspend button, hal initiates the quirks in this
different order:

--quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vbemode-restore
--quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-reset-brightness

so, if I try it in a terminal, it suspends but does not resume (same
result as suspend button):

sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-vbe-post
--quirk-reset-brightness

Now, I believe the problem is that my nvidia driver does not support the
vbetool.  But, why it works in the different order is puzzling to me.
Did you know that order matters?

Also, I have tried and successfully resumed from:

paul :~$ sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-reset-brightness

and successfully from:

paul :~$ sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-reset-brightness
--quirk-vbe-post

This makes me think that  --quirk-vbe-post is the problem, but only is
ok in certain orders.  I'm not sure I have enough time to try all the
combinations?

Also, I have gone back to kdm and kde and have the same experience in
the terminal, so there's not a problem in kde

Now that I know that, is there someplace I can config which quirks are
called and in what order?