tracking down suspend/hibernate bugs?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 14 19:10:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 10:30 -0800, Matt Price wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:23 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:51:48PM -0800, Matt Price wrote:
> >

> > > i alsoseem to have an odd problem -- if i choose 'suspend' from the
> > > gnome 'quit' menu, then resume fails.  if, however, i suspend just by
> > > closing the lid on my laptop, suspend and resume both succeed.  this
> > > suggests to me that two different methods are being used, probably acpi
> > > in the lid case and pm-utils in the gnome case.  seems to me this
> > > shouldn't happen; again, i'm not quite sure what's going on.
> >
> > Both cases should be the same. I'll check to make sure that the logout
> > dialog is triggering pm-utils, but lid closure should certainly be going
> > through hal.

hmmm...  fooling around, i find that i can suspend pretty reliably from
the command line

sudo pm-suspend

but that the gnome-power-manager dialog reliably fails to resume; this
despitethe fact that it seemsto be using pm-suspend, as it writes a
suspend log to /var/log/pm-suspend.  not sure what's going on there.

matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price at utoronto.ca