Proposal: include Brasero by default

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:07:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 11:16 PM, Wouter Stomp <wouterstomp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to propose including Brasero in the default Ubuntu
> installation. Brasero is an application to burn CD/DVD's for the Gnome
> Desktop. It is designed to be as simple as possible and has some
> unique features to enable users to create their discs easily and
> quickly. Brasero is actively being developed and is maintained in
> Ubuntu by one of its developers, Luis Medinas.
>
> Currently Ubuntu relies on nautilus-cd-burner and serpentine for
> cd/dvd burning. Both are nice and simple programs, but both N-c-b and
> serpentine have several limitations that Brasero does not have which
> are listed below:
>
> Nautilus cd burner:
> - Lack of multisession support!
> - Does not inhibit Gnome Power Manager from suspending while burning
> - Doesn't do on the fly burning (dvd to dvd or disk to dvd), severly
> limiting burning possibilities when low on disk space (a situation in
> which you might want to move files to cd/dvd)
> - Does not show the amount of space left
> - Does not show the progress while burning
> - Has no option to verify burned cd
> - Can't copy/write video DVDs
> - Has no option to erase cdrw's withouth burning new content to them
>
> Serpentine:
> - Doesn't do on the fly writing (mp3/ogg to wav conversion)
> - Doesn't detect the size of the inserted disc
> - Has several open bugs on program crashes, both on launchpad and in
> gnome bugzilla
> - Lacks audio track preview
> - Doesn't support cue files
>
> Additionally, Brasero has features such as automatic filtering for
> unwanted files, beagle file search (tracker support planned) and
> saving/loading of projects, allowing them to be burned later.
>
> It would be good to provide users one common interface to burn cd's.
> Brasero is already in the main repository and installed and tested by
> many users, so it should not be a problem to include it on the cd. Of
> the other distro's, opensuse already ships it. Therefore, I would like
> to propose including it by default in Hardy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wouter

Hi,

I think there's a great need to inform that Ubuntu champions
time-based release methodology
than feature-based releases, where features are studied, tested, and
if it's not good enough means
deffered for 6 months or so.

If burning files is much concerned, using Nautilus CD Burner is the
easiest way for both advanced
and new users.

To clear up some preconceptions, Nautilus:

1. does asks the user to blank non-empty CD-RW & DVD-RW's upon writing.
2. burns CUE files via right-clicking it and choosing "Write to Disk".

I think any other features is a niche, and/or can be done manually. If
there's any other burning
application that needs to be included, that is a "Disk Utility" like
application from Mac.

Cheers,
Joel Juliano