A Look at the Ubuntu Installer

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 20:44:29 UTC 2008

I also like the concept of setting the language and keymap at boot. The
other minor adjustments in wording etc. also look good.

IMHO one of the most important possible adjustments to ubiquity would be to
recognize partitions by OS installed, and label them that way. I don't know
the code structure, but I imagine that it would be possible to integrate the
same OS detector that is used in the files&settings import manager.

Considerably more complicated would be to determine the mount points of
partitions without OSs on them. A possible example then would be:

Windows XP - 25GB
Ubuntu 7.04 - 25GB
(Windows D:) or (Ubuntu /home/data) - 150GB

I know the mount point detection is difficult (at least for non-linux OSs;
reading fstab shouldn't be too tricky), but the OS detection is far more
important.

Just my two cents.