VOIP: ekiga, wengophone, twinkle (was What is 'administrivia')

Bryan Haskins kingofallhearts999 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 03:58:52 UTC 2008

Unfortunately, and I say this as a Skype using hypocrite, it'll be fairly
hard to pull any newcomers to anything but Skype. It's just what they know,
brand recognition, they thing calls on your computer, Skype, not SIP itself
or open source shells/GUI clients for it. I am however all for trying to
make people change their mind, have both a standard SIP service, and skype
right now. The better the client we include, that is *obvious* to people,
the better the chance we had.

On Dec 31, 2007 3:03 PM, Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 01:41:20PM -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > I've tried, unsuccessfully, to use Ekiga a few times.  I got
> > Wengophone to work once.  I know a lot of other people have had
> > issues with Ekiga not connecting to anything.  Maybe that's changed
> > since Dapper, but I don't know.  It didn't work for me with
> > Feisty--that's when I tried Wengo.
> >
> >  On Dec 30, 2007 10:22 AM, Evan <eapache at gmail.com> wrote:
> >    I'm sure there have been long discussions on these
> >    before, but here are my suggestions:
> >
> >    Remove
> >    -ekiga (very few people use voip, and most of those that
> >    do use skype. leave it in the repos if you must, but it
> >    makes no sense to have it on the cd)
>
> It is clear to me that we need at least one free, best-of-breed VOIP
> app shipping with Ubuntu.  VOIP is steadily increasing in popularity.
> Providing free standards-compliant end-to-end VOIP is an important
> alternative to the phone companies and others trying to turn it into a
> proprietary ghetto.
>
>  http://www.joeterranova.net/2007/10/09/why-i-hate-vonage/
>
> Skype is not only non-free, but it is anti-open in the sense that it
> does not interoperate with other VOIP apps or use a standard protocol.
> It is worse than cell phones in the years before we required
> portability of phone numbers between providers.
>
> In these days of the opening up of cell phone interoperability between
> providers, I think the last thing we should encourage is that Ubuntu
> users use Skype.
>
> I've had success with ekiga.  Removing it from main without a free
> alternative would be a setback.
>
> Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Cheers,
Bryan