problems after upgrading to hardy

Jared Schlicht jschlicht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:52:04 UTC 2008

On Monday February 18 2008 11:08:42 am Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Over the week I did a Gusty -> Hardy upgrade on one of my boxes at home and
> am running into some problems.  Upon logging in, I receive a notification
> that i am "Unable to contact HAL."  I am not getting a network adress and
> when I go to any of the system tools, I'm told that I am not allowed to run
> the application.
>
> What files or info do I need to provide to solve the current state my
> computer is in?  Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Without knowing more details, it could be the same issue I had with Gutsy.
After each install, I've had to run the following command to make HAL work:

sudo /usr/lib/hal/hald-generate-fdi-cache

It won't make your system any worse off than it is now.  It can take a little
while, even on newer hardware, so be patient.

-Jared Schlicht