problems after upgrading to hardy

Nick Stinemates nick at stinemates.org
Mon Feb 18 18:16:16 UTC 2008

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Over the week I did a Gusty -> Hardy upgrade on one of my boxes at
> home and am running into some problems.  Upon logging in, I receive a
> notification that i am "Unable to contact HAL."  I am not getting a
> network adress and when I go to any of the system tools, I'm told that
> I am not allowed to run the application.
>
> What files or info do I need to provide to solve the current state my
> computer is in?  Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
Maybe the upgrade did not properly install HAL, or 'missed' it? I would
check for it's presence.

If it's not there and you can't get an IP I would suggest running the
livecd (which hopefully you can get an ip from) and chrooting in to your
environment directly, and doing an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

--
Nick Stinemates (nick at stinemates.org)

AIM: Nick Stinemates
MSN: nickstinemates at hotmail.com