"Make sense" keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor?

Milan nalimilan at club.fr
Sat Feb 9 21:21:28 UTC 2008

Cory K. a écrit :
> Ubuntu Studio has decided to add a keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor.
>
> Most windows users see this as a equivalent to Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is of
> course already mapped and launches the logout dialog. So we decided to
> use the keys KDE uses to launch their monitor. Ctrl+Esc. This works out
> great in metacity but not so well in Compiz as both Ctrl and Esc are
> "special" keys and cannot be used this way.
>
> >From #compiz-fusion-dev: "maniac103: Escape == Cancel and Return ==
> Commit (regardless of the modifiers) and cannot be used together"
>
> So I'm asking what would possibly be a "make sense" keymap to use across
> both Metacity and Compiz to use for gnome-system-monitor?

If you're motivated enough and willing to find a lasting shortcut, the
best to do IMHO is to contact freedesktop.org. This shortcut concerns
every desktop environment and should really be the same everywhere, else
people will always forget it when they (occasionally) need it.

This feature is non-intrusive for users that don't know it exists, so
adopting a shortcut (or even just free this precise combination) should
not be a problem. Maybe a solution could be found considering together
issues with compiz/metacity/kwin, X.org and GNOME/KDE/XFCE: add a second
key combination that X.org would always redirect to a command.

I hope you do so... ;-)