Use SVG icons instead of PNG

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Feb 9 15:36:16 UTC 2008

I'm sure this has been asked before.

Most of the system application launchers use PNG icons. For example,
Firefox and Thunderbird (two of the most commonly used apps). Very few
use SVG, like gnome-terminal.  I like to have few icons on my desktops
that are stretch to ~x2 their size. PNGs look aliased when stretched.

Another case where the fixed resolution of PNGs gets in the way, is in
things like cairo-dock, where the application's icon in 'window list'
looks aliased.

The obvious question is, why use PNGs and not SVG for all icons?
Performance?
Also, is that theme related ? I use the 'human' theme.

regards,
Ioannis

PS: I've modified 'firefox.desktop' in '/usr/share/applications', just
to make sure that the default uses SVG. This works well for my desktop
icons, however, things like cairo-dock keep displaying a PNG icon of the
running firefox app. Is there something else I need to change, or is
this Cairo-Dock's fault ?