You lost a new Ubuntu user

S'orlok Reaves sorlok_reaves at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 01:38:21 UTC 2008

I'm afraid I don't quite grasp the severity of automatic network access: Windows (as it installs by default) will automatically download security fixes without asking, and will even restart your computer so you can immediately enjoy these patches. (It usually plays nice, but a hotfix or two occasionally pushes its way through).

Is the issue that your ASDL service was chosen for you, when there were other (better) options? Does the latest Live CD not prompt if multiple internet sources are available? (I'm still using Hardy, so I wouldn't know...) This might be a reasonable request.

Can anyone clarify this?
-->Seth