You lost a new Ubuntu user

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 21:08:22 UTC 2008

I would agree with Vladmir (phcoder). Ubuntu tries to be a distro that
non-tech-savy people can just plug in and use. That requires it to make some
decisions for the user (such as automatically downloading security patches)
which normal users really just don't care about.

If you don't want it to do *anything *without your permission, then Ubuntu
is not the distro for you. I would recommend Arch Linux instead. However, be
warned that even Arch has some regularly scheduled tasks set up
automatically. They are all simple and harmless things like clearing old
system log files, and they can be turned off fairly easily if you don't want
them to run, but they are set to run by default.

If even that is too much automation for your tastes, then I'm afraid I can't
offer any more advice. Short of compiling your own custom Linux from
scratch, there is nothing out there that doesn't try to make the user's life
easier by doing at least some things automatically.

Just keep in mind, the more control you want over your system, the more work
you're going to have to do to keep it running.

Evan