Minutes from the Technical Board, 2008-07-15

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Aug 20 09:05:25 UTC 2008

On 20/08/08 16:40, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:43:16AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
>
>> If you recall the google research about hard drive failures you will
>> have remembered that SMART is no indication of impending failure.
>>

> And if you recall the very same research, you will have remembered that
> SMART *does* indicate of impending failure. The conclusion of the study
> was that if SMART says that he drive is about to go bust, it's very
> likely to be true. However, if SMART says everything is fine, that's not
> necessarily true.

And your last sentence is precisely why I raised my point in the first
place.

The abstract from the report reads:

     [..] we conclude that models based on SMART parameters alone are
    unlikely to be useful for predicting individual drive failures.

And that is my point, "individual drive failures", that is, those on a
single machine, which is what we were discussing if I'm not mistaken.

Now if you want to add SMART statistics to the landscape-sysinfo tool
that Gustavo is working on, that's a whole different thing.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..