libavcodec51 and libavcodec1d package description

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Wed Aug 20 05:07:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

Whilst installing empathy on another intrepid test box. I noticed
libavcodec being installed. After an "hmmm an mpeg library is there an
issue here for inclusion of empathy by default" I did some digging. We
have two libavcodec packages, libavcodec51 in main and libavcodec1d in
universe. A quick delve into the package shows that lbavcodec51 is a
stripped package to disable anything mpeg and bad, but if you go by the
package description you see in synaptic this cannot be ascertained that
as both packages have the one below.

// Package description starts

ffmpeg codec library
This is the codec library from the ffmpeg project. It supports most
existing encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...).

This package contains a Debian-specific version of the libavcodec shared
object that should only be used by Debian packages.

// Package description ends

Should the description for libavcodec51 be changed to be more relevant
and give users more correct information?

Regards

Phil