Intrepid compatibility with C3 CPUs

Sam Tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 18:31:48 UTC 2008

Hi

The current intrepid test releases will not boot on machines with Via C3
CPUs. At boot the message:

"This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: cmov
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

is given.

It appears that the kernel now requires the 'cmov' instruction. If i
understand right this is a i686 instruction. Has it been officially
decided to drop support for older CPUs? I guess there would be benefits
for optimising for newer CPUs, but I have not seen anything announced.

This has been reported as bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/254453 , but I
think it warrants community discussion. Maybe it is time to split i386
and i686 into separate ubuntu versions. Maybe it is time for us folk
with old CPUs to move to a more specialized distro. What should be
considered obsolete (mini itx boards with C3s are still for sale
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2 so if Via have stopped building them
it can't have been long ago).

Sam Tygier