Intuitive "Popup" Scrollbars

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 23:27:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 12:16 AM, vicho minkov <vichobg at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/15 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> I remember if you clicked and held the center button/scroll
>>> wheel on Windows you could drag the page around a bit as well, to keep
>>> from having to go to the scrollbar.  Can't figure out how to do that
>>> on Ubuntu, but then I'd rather not sacrifice middle-click-to-paste
>>> either.
>>
>> You may be right that middle-click-to-paste should not be sacrificed
>> but I think this feature is REALLY helpful and should be available at
>> least as an option in Ubuntu. :)
>> Vicho

Maybe scrolling itself could be sacrificed. What if we use the scroll
wheel like this: when you scroll down, actual scrolling down will
start, and will increase in speed if you keep turning the wheel. It
will only slow down, and eventually stop if you scroll up again. The
same goes for scrolling in the upward direction. Sort of like the
middle-click scroll behaviour in Windows, only without the clicking,
and using the scroll wheel instead.

Middle-click can then continue to be used like it is used now.

Remco