Minutes from the Technical Board, 2008-07-15

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:41:32 UTC 2008

Hi Bryce,

I mostly suspend my laptop, so shutting it down and rebooting is not
really done that often. Which means that I hit the day count more then I
hit the mount count. If you want, you can change the mount based
counting to a higher number with tune2fs (see the -c option in man
tune2fs). So you could opt to run tune2fs -c 0 for your root system and
wait for the number of days to hit.

I think checking is something that needs to be done once in a while.
Once every 30 days seems like a minimum. Reading everything on disk will
make sure that the data is retained properly (and no error's occurred),
because as far as I know new drives will rewrite on every read to make
sure the data doesn't fade out.

Furthermore I don't think the up-time or amount of bytes written/read
will make the system more intelligent because even a unused harddisk
will start loosing data eventually. I'd be happy to hear more options if
people can come up with them, but I must admit that I can't think of
any.

Bram Neijt