Call for testing empathy

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Sun Aug 10 18:05:24 UTC 2008

I'm a bit confused about the desired outcome of this proposal.  From the
discussion, it seems to be an attempt to get more developers looking at
a new messaging framework with the potential to do all sorts of weird
and wonderful things.  If so, then replacing Pidgin as the default IM
client seems like a bad plan - I would expect devs to already have a
favourite IM client, which they'll install unless they have a compelling
reason to switch.  On the other hand, I'd expect newbies to use the
default because they don't know they have a choice.  That would lead to
a small developer base supporting a lot of users submitting bug reports
about making Empathy a better IM client, which would take developer time
away from being creative.

Could you give some examples of existing Ubuntu applications that would
benefit from integrating (lib)empathy?

	- Andrew