Reporting and Triaging ODP file

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Fri Aug 8 06:21:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 00:54 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:02:10 +0100 Philip Wyett <philwyett at gmx.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 20:24 -0400, Chuck Frain wrote:
> >> Greetings All,
> >>
> >> At the request of Daniel Holbach I uploaded a presentation that I will
> >> be giving on Saturday as a part of the Global Bug Jam for the Maryland
> >> Loco team. It is in the 'Material' section at
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RunningBugJam
> >>
> >> Please take a look at it for any glaring errors or omissions. It is
> >> geared for new people to the process so don't expect any deep dark
> >> secrets about any of the processes to be there:)
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Chuck
> >>

> >In the interests of keeping the team wiki clean and easier to navigate,
> >this and other user created pages should ideally be sub pages of the
> >users page i.e. for this presentation for example it could be at:
> >
> >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChuckFrain/RunningBugJam or similar.
> >
> >The reasoning for this...
> >
> >1. Makes identifying a particular persons work easier.
>
> The wiki has a history function.
>
> >2. If edited by someone else it lessens work of others to perform #1.
>
> Not really.  If you want to know who wrote what, you still need to look at
> the diff.
>
> >3. Keeps the root folder of the wiki cleaner.
>
> This is a valid concern, but there are topic based roots that would be much
> better than author based.
>
> >4. After a time if the page goes stale it won't be accidentally deleted.
>
> I assume this is true if it's under a topic based root page too.
>
> >It is not just this particular page I want to highlight alone as there
> >are a considerable amount like it on the team wiki at present. I wish to
> >promote that extra bit of personal organisation when creating wiki pages
> >helps the wiki's organisation then look after itself.
>
> In my experience wikis tend to have rather flat name spaces and that is a
> feature and not a bug.  Organizing by author I don't understant at all.

Wiki's do not have a flat structure of pages by design. It is the page
creator who locates their files in such a flat structure. If we worked
day to day in a flat structure we would have no such thing as folders
and we would all just throw our files in our home directory and work
like that.

Regards

Phil