Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (desktop)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 5 10:11:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:42:02AM +0200, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 03:16 -0400, Nagin Chand wrote:
> > 3. Even in one of the most ommon software, openoffice, it installs only a subset of that is available on the DVD. For example it does not install the base (database part) and the math part among others. Also, some of the languages are simply not installed and later on the user has to intervene.
>
> All of OpenOffice is installed by default from the official Ubuntu CD
> and DVD.  If something was missing, I'd blame the remix that magazine
> made.

The official CD and DVD only install a subset of OpenOffice.org, i.e.
Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets) and Impress (presentations).
There are various reasons for this, but CD space is among them.

Since 8.04, we now have the capability to add additional software to the DVD
image which won't fit on the CD.  Currently, this is only used for language
support, but perhaps it would be useful to add the rest of OpenOffice.org as
well.

The DVD should contain all available language support, though.

--
 - mdz