Pulseaudio/Jack in Ubuntu Hardy

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 29 21:39:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:59 -0400, Cory K. wrote:
> Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> > would basic defaults making
> > jackd output to PulseAudio hurt anybody? Sure it would be slow, it would
> > not be serious at all, but would it allow people that can stand that use
> > JACK then? Others, as you said, will configure it.
> >

> Yes. It would hurt people expecting a particular latency. Look thorough
> the ubuntu-studio-users mailing list about this. Getting JACK to work
> with PulseAudio is the lesser issue to getting good latency timings.
>
> In talking to the guys on #jack, #ardour and Paul Davis himself routing
> JACK through Pulse Audio by default is a bad idea. You think this is
> heated? You should have been on IRC when I posed these JACK through PA
> by default questions. ;)
>
> In Ubuntu Studio we have a wrapper script around jackd to stop Pulse for
> JACK and restart it once done. This is what most users have wanted based
> on feedback.
>
> If latency isn't an issue, use Jokosher or maybe Audacity. People who
> need to use Ardour need the performance JACK and Ardour can provide
> without added overhead.

has anyone thought about setting up a jack/ardour/pulseaudio howto
somewhere?  as i mentioned in another post  earlier in this thread, i
don think there is a potential userbase -- podcasters & audio editors --
for whom ardour would be a really excellent solution, if they could just
get it to work without lots of fiddling with sounddaemons.  is there
anyone who agrees with me?

matt

--
Matt Price