Question on building custom kernels.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Apr 11 17:09:29 UTC 2008

My goal is to build a live ubuntu CD that has a patched kernel and my
own applications
pre-installed on it.  I feel I am very close, but I can't get the kernel
to work right.

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 desktop version.
At first, I was trying to use kernel 2.6.23.17 + my own hacks with a
.config based off of
Fedora 8, and then with a .config from the ubuntu 2.6.22 kernel.  I then
tried back-porting my patches
into the official 2.6.22.9 ubunto kernel-tree and using the default
debian .config.  I changed the
.config slightly (disabled debugging symbols, support 16 cpus, 2/2G
memory mapping, 1000
ticks per sec and enabled some modules relating to my own patch-set.)

In all cases, the live CD (booted under qemu) appears to start OK, but
without any obvious
errors it goes to the initramfs prompt instead of booting into linux proper.

I am attaching the steps I am using to try to do all of this.  Once I
run through these steps once,
I have been going into the chroot again to install new test kernels, and
then run all of the
live-cd related commands after '#Clean up chroot"  I tried the steps
w/out updating the
kernel and it booted fine, so it seems to be specifically related to the
kernel.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong or suggestions for ways to further
debug this?

Thanks,
Ben

--