Problem with Grub being installed in MBR as default (GG)

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Apr 7 23:39:30 UTC 2008

On 08/04/08 04:39, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I'm just installing another instance of Gutsy Gibbon on one of my drives, and
> as you say the "Advanced" button is there on the confirmation page you
> mention above, but can easily be missed, as I did on my first install of
> Gutsy Gibbon, and ended up with Gutsy Gibbons Grub overwriting my FC2 Grub
> that was in the MBR, with chainloaders to other distros on the drive.
>
> Yes. Gutsy Gibbons Grub had all the kernels listed for FC2, Debian Etch, and
> Debian Lenny, but as the the kernels for Debian Etch, and Lenny are the same,
> it would be a bit hit and miss as to which Debian version I would be booting.
>
> Personally I think it would be better to have a separate page for the
> bootloader, as on other distros, and where you have choices presented to you
> as to where you want to install the bootloader. In most cases the default of
> installing to the MBR would be ok if you were a first time user of the
> distro, but for those of us that have dual/triple installs on the drive,
> options as to where you want to install the bootloader, I'm sure would be
> appreciated.

Words fail me.

Personally I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the developers who
wrote software that was able to detect kernels across at least 4
operating systems, (Etch, Lenny, FC2 and two instances of Gutsy).

As for the suggestion; adding 30 seconds of effort to 99.9% of
installations for the "benefit" of 0.1% of the users seems a step
backward, both for Ubuntu and society as a whole.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..