Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Wenzhuo Zhang wenzhuo at zhmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:06:05 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:

> I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
> It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
> access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
> Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think tells me my Via controller
> is not compatible with libata.

In Feisty and Gutsy kernels, the IDE driver via82cxxx is the only driver
that supports VIA_82C586_1(1106:0571), and the new libata based driver
pata_via is not enabled. So the Gutsy problem you experienced is probably
a regression of via82cxxx driver introduced in linux-image-2.6.22.

Starting from linux-image-2.6.24-13.23, via82cxxx is disabled in favor
of pata_via. Kubuntu 8.04 beta CD ships with 2.6.24-12, which includes
both via82cxxx and pata_via. Judging from the fact your drives are
recognized as /dev/hd?, via82cxxx is loaded first, which means the
via82cxxx issue has been fixed in 2.6.24-12.

You may want to download and install all the hardy updates up-to-date
using Update Manager. linux-image-2.6.25-15-generic will be installed
in the update process. Be sure to remove the IDE drivers you added to
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules before starting to update. You'll then find
out whether pata_via is working properly for VIA_82C586_1. If it does
not work for you, you can file another bug report.

Wenzhuo