Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Sat Apr 5 05:30:56 UTC 2008

Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> I've removed/commented everything from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules except
>>
>> via82cxxx
>> ide_generic
>> ide_disk
>> ide_cd
>>
>> And I've run
>>
>> $update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.22-14-generic.
>>
>> I still can't boot the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel but now I can see my
>> CDrom and DVD drives. They were not loading before, but are now, so I
>> think we're on the right track. It seems like there is still a module or
>> driver missing. Any other ideas?
>>

> It's becoming difficult to track your problem. You may want to file a
> separate bug report at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>, and attach the
> "dmesg", "lspci -vvn" and "lshw" output to it when running the feisty
> kernel.
>
> For the Gutsy boot messages, you can boot into single-user mode,
> and take a screenshot of the failure messages using a digital camera,
> and then attach it to the bug report as well. Do it twice with and
> without preloading ide drivers in initramfs.
>

>> I do plan on downloading the 8.04 live CD this weekend as you suggested.
>>

> Wenzhuo

Wenzhuo,

I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think tells me my Via controller
is not compatible with libata.

Thanks,
Rick