regular fsck runs are too disturbing

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Fri Sep 28 00:39:52 UTC 2007

Am 28.09.2007 um 00:40 schrieb Caroline Ford:

> We are strongly being advised NOT to leave things on standby here as
> it's bad for the environment.

I'm pretty sure it takes less energy to have a modern computer in
standby for a week or two than to boot the machine and to restore all
the applications running (think about 30 documents open on my average
desktop). Not to mention about an hour of work to do the latter.

IIRC, in sleep-to-disk mode you can even pull the power plug without
enforcing booting.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/