A tricky situation in malone bug 60995

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Oct 21 16:28:25 BST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007 14:08, Martin Olsson wrote:

> And to justify this crippled BACKSPACE key you still would have to
> explain why this is not a problem on Windows ("the main platform of
> ignorant computer users")? Why is it that Firefox on Windows still has
> this "really serious data loss problem"? Maybe it's because if someone
> made a change like this in Firefox on Windows people would be converting
> back IE "en masse". Of course, this is Linux so people don't have a
> choice (unless they want to go proprietary and use Opera).

No.  The fact that it is a problem is sufficient.

I gather you never used Ubuntu before this change was implemented.  Please
stop acting like those of us who did never really lost data because it
doesn't happen on Windows.

If you want to talk about Windows/Linux consistencey in Firefox, there are far
more common issues.  Get Preferences moved from Edit to Tools in Linux is you
are worried about consistency.

There are, btw, plenty of choices for web browsers in Linux.  You might want
to consider doing some actual research before making bold statements like
this.

IIRC, there were a number of open bugs against Firefox regarding incorrect
loss of focus and so what often happened was that you could lose focus in a
text box without taking action to do so and then end up paging back when you
thought you were editing text.

Personally, I think the "[" "]" proposal makes a lot of sense.

Scott K