A tricky situation in malone bug 60995

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 00:10:37 BST 2007

On 10/21/07, Martin Olsson <mnemo at minimum.se> wrote:

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> >
> > It's the wrong way to fix it. You can lose data by clicking enter
> > while a link is focused too, should we disable the enter key? The
> > right solution has been mentioned multiple times in multiple places:
> > prompt "Are you sure you want to change page and lose what you typed?"
> >

> Yes, exactly. Nobody is arguing *for* data loss, clearly data loss
> should be avoided (but using another, more intelligent method).
> I would also like to point you to the follow repro steps:
>
> 1. surf to cnn.com
> 2. surf to google.com
> 3. enter search query "hello"
> 4. press the BACK button in the browser
> 5. press the FORWARD button in the browser
>
> Voilá your search query is still there intact: no data loss! Maybe this
> was a big problem in previous versions of Firefox but right now, the
> data loss argument is running very short.

I agree the data loss argument is running short. And I agree with some
comments on bugzilla: if data loss was really a problem, why the
change doesn't affect Windows too? Are *nix users more prone to lose
data? I don't think so :)

By the way, keeping form data after going back and forward depends on
caching headers sent by the page, or so I heard. I can confirm it
doesn't always keep it. And I have also seen cases where I really
didn't expect it to keep it but luckily it did (like on some forums'
"Quick reply" feature, where the text box is hidden, and shown by
Javascript after clicking a link; I clicked it and there was my old
text!).

--
Nicolas