Appropriateness of posts to this list (Was Re: evince crash)

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Tue Oct 23 04:25:56 UTC 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 1:05 PM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> What we need is a DIGG alike system for LP.
> Either by counting the number of subscribers/comments, thumbs up/down
> (digg alike), or an hybrid way of all this.
> What do you guys think?

For a variety of reasons, how many votes a bug report receives from the
sort of people who hang out in bug trackers (as wonderful as those
people usually are) is often very different from how important the bug
is to the project in general.

This causes people to make useless comments of the form "This bug has X
votes, why is it only Medium importance!", which causes more e-mail
notifications and slows down the developers further.

It's possible that the extra noise voting would add to the bug tracker
would be less than the noise it would subtract from mailing lists like
this one. But in the absence of evidence about whether something will
help overall, we tend to err on the side of not implementing it.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/