gnome-power-manager locking policy

unggnu unggnu at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 14 13:35:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

gnome-power-manager has a problem at least in Feisty and Gutsy that it
always locks desktop after suspend, hibernate resume or just closed lid.
It is not possible to disable this without editing gconf.
Among others this problem is described under
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/150777
I have made a debdiff for this to fix it which disables the locking for
blank, hibernate and suspend but it enables the option
use_screensaver_settings which always locks screen after resume if
screensaver locking is enabled. So with only one GUI option it is
possible to activate password security or disable it.
Of course to have the same security level like before screensaver
locking should be enabled by default but with this I see no security
risk but more usability.

I mean Gnome is that rude/usability fanatic that it isn't possible to
set sleep times lower than the screensaver activation (which is very bad
for laptops imho) but for disabling password security after resume you
need an editor and three option changes.
With the gconf changes it should be intuitive possible with one click to
get the security level user wants.

Greetings