regular fsck runs are too disturbing

Bryan Haskins kingofallhearts999 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:49:45 UTC 2007

I completely like the LVM idea, as I was saying on IRC a bit ago, that
would really be an elegant system. LVM up root, and whatever other
chosen disks, and safely check that in the background (possibly a nice
notification icon even?) and pop up a ping box when an error is found
(the level of error it goes into rigorous fsck mode being user
configurable, but shipping with a default of some sort, tbd later) this
would REALLY cut down on issues...

The only discrepancy here is what happens when the disk is corrupted to
a high degree and we try to boot it? Fairly simple yet also complex
response to that. It would have to work similar to bulletproof X...
though obviously on a lower level. We could flag to a safe location to
fsck on boot. Or even have a special grub entry that fscks
automatically, that would be interesting.

The first being more elegant, though rather hard... it would require us
to have a "safe-zone" to store this sort of small information. And we
have no idea what part of the FS/Disk could be bad.

Possibly a combination of the two might be in order.

Honestly it is a tad complex but it is REALLY a cool idea.

We should write up a formal spec and see where it goes, still needs some
development, but it's really promising In my opinion.