understanding broken package

João Pinto lamego.pinto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:17:54 BST 2007

Hello,
I am sure there is a design reason for this behavior which I am missing, I
would appreciate if someone could explain it.

Starting point:
Package A version X, Depends on Package A-DATA version X
Boths Package A-X and A-DATA-X are installed.
Action:
dpkg -i Package A-DATA, version X+1
Result: The package is properly installed without any warnings, however
Package A becomes broken, GUI update/install tools will refuse to work until
an apt-get -f install is issued (which will remove the broken package).

Shouldn't the dpkg install package warn or not install the new package by
checking that an installed package will become broken ?

Thank you

--
João Pinto
IRC: Lamego @ irc.freenode.net