GIMP *final* release for Gutsy?

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:52:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 07:13 -0500, Peter wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:47:34 +1100
> Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at kubuntu.org> wrote:
>
> > Greg K Nicholson wrote:
> > > We'd only have to do this *once* for each package of which a
> > > non-final version was released in Ubuntu final. Once the final
> > > version of the package is available, there need be no more updates
> > > (beyond what are already done).
> > >
> > > Hopefully a commitment to doing this extra packaging work after the
> > > Ubuntu release would dissuade us from including non-final package
> > > releases in final Ubuntu releases.
> > >
> > I suspect that if we actually had people offering to do this (and
> > this is quite similar to the already-existing backports), and did
> > reasonable QA tests, etc, then this would all become more feasible.
> >
> > But, when you're trying to stretch already busy people, who are
> > mostly volunteers, and will tend to work on whatever they like, and
> > to try and fit them into your mold of what you want them to do,
> > you're always going to meet trouble.
> >
> > So, anyone willing to step up to work on stable release updates?  If
> Ah yes, BUT you need to be a MOTU to upload new releases and the
> process of becoming a MOTU or contributions by non-MOTU has been
> discussed before. Just see the archives here (GetDeb Project (Why I
> participate)) or on the MOTU list
> (Subject: non-MOTU Hopeful contributions (was:: GetDeb Project (Why I
> participate))

But you don't need to be a MOTU to do the work, and since gimp is in
main, it doesn't much help being a MOTU either.  The uploading to the
archives part is by far the quickest and simplest part of the whole
process.  Once you've updated the packaging, and tested it thouroughly
yourself it will be much less work (read: much more likely to happen)
for the core-dev to pick it up, check it for sanity, and (hopefully)
upload to gutsy-proposed.  Where you now get to thoroughly test it
before it gets into -updates.

Not helping because you don't have upload privilages to the archives
seems a pretty poor excuse.  You really don't need to be able to upload
directly to the archives to usefully contribute!  You don't have to be
aiming to become a MOTU in order to usefully contribute.

Chris Halse Rogers