GIMP *final* release for Gutsy?

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Nov 10 23:43:04 UTC 2007

> On Nov 11, 2007 5:28 AM, João Pinto wrote:
> > if you do believe that potentially this change from RC->Final is only with
> > the splash screen logo, which if it's the case would resolve the problem
> > from the user's expectation perspective, why bringing generic theoretical
> > regression concerns without actually checking the changes ?

Has anybody considered simply removing the words "Release Candidate"
from the splash screen?

So far, the countless emails on this topic seem to point out the shock
and confusion that a new user will experience when seeing "Release
Candidate". The emails seem to try and extend this reasoning to make
points about the exception process, the getdeb project and the
philosophy of "Ubuntu" as a whole.

Whatever my view on the rest of the issues (the debate on which seems
to generate a lot of noise while progressing very little), I can see
that it isn't very professional to have something labelled "Release
Candidate" in the default install when the final version is available.
Is there any reason that we cannot just wipe off those words? I
appreciate that the included version is not the final version, but
with the patches that Ubuntu includes, it isn't really the release
candidate either. Worst case scenario, we could have the splash screen
without the RC, but with an "Ubuntu version" comment.

Regards,

Aaron

--
FSF Associate Member: 5632