GIMP *final* release for Gutsy?

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sat Nov 10 19:23:12 UTC 2007

Aaron C. de Bruyn spake thusly:
>> Wouldn't logic dictate that if their latest release was for bugfixes,
>> that they would recommend an update? Or do developers update software
>> "just for the heck of it"?
>
> I haven't done an official study or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that a month after Gutsy is out, about half the packages are out-of-date if you look at version numbers.
>
> So what?
>
> Upgrading simply because there is a newer version number is the wrong attitude.

I agree. And if this were about 4.0 to 4.1 or 4.3 to 4.7, I would be
100% with you.

But this is not the case. Ubuntu shipped with a *pre-release* version of
GIMP.  Would it ship with a *pre-release* of GNOME or Metacity? I think
not...

This is a package in the *main* (*supported* free software) repository.
 It's not one of the 23523 packages from Universe. This is a program so
good and so popular that Ubuntu (like most every other distro on the
planet) chose to include it with a default installation.

As someone else pointed out, the masses (particularly the newbies that
the SABDFL wants very much to attract) have been (for the most part)
trained that alpha, beta and any pre-release software is unstable and
ill-advised.

Granted, many pre-releases are identical (or virtually identical) to the
final release. But many are *not*.  And if you look at the changelog on
  the GIMPs site you'll note that there are *numerous* bugfixes already
in the .1 release (not unusual .0 releases are notoriously buggy - in
any program).

But even if it were 100 bug-free. We're not talking about just a simple
version number change here....

*sigh*

--
            Scott