GIMP *final* release for Gutsy?

Peter ubuntu at ourvirtualhome.com
Sat Nov 10 12:22:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:03:20 -0800
"Aaron C. de Bruyn" <ubuntu-devel-discuss at darkpixel.com> wrote:

> > Aaron C. de Bruyn:
> > > Upgrading simply because there is a newer version number is the
> > > wrong attitude.
> >
> > It's not that fact that it's a newer version (number): it's that
> > it's a final, stable release versus a non-final non-stable release.
>
> And what makes a release stable or non-stable?  The version number?
> No.  It's the code that goes into it.
> So unless you are running into a bug, there is no need to take a
> developer away from working on Gutsy to have him fix a problem that
> no one is having. -A

So what is it that an Ubuntu developer develops for Gimp? I thought it
was the Gimp developers who developed Gimp. If I find a bug in Gimp I
will address it with the Gimp developers and not with an Ubuntu
developer. That's like saying if you run into a bug with Firefox on
windows you'll write Microsoft.

I appreciate the patches that Ubuntu developers make, I've seen them
when creating packages but when an update of a package comes out, not a
major release but a minor one like Gimp 2.4-rc3 -> 2.4.0 -> 2.4.1 ,
it's my believe you'll only have to check if your patches are still
relevant.

Is it Ubuntu's policy to do Q&A on all the packages it puts in the
repositories?

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98