GIMP *final* release for Gutsy?

Aaron C. de Bruyn ubuntu-devel-discuss at darkpixel.com
Fri Nov 9 16:08:58 UTC 2007

> Wouldn't logic dictate that if their latest release was for bugfixes,
> that they would recommend an update? Or do developers update software
> "just for the heck of it"?

I haven't done an official study or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that a month after Gutsy is out, about half the packages are out-of-date if you look at version numbers.

So what?

Upgrading simply because there is a newer version number is the wrong attitude.

If we followed that practice, the devs would be spending all their time trying to keep the Gutsy packages up to date instead of working on Hardy.

If you run into a specific bug, post a bug report and if a newer version of GIMP fixes your issue, someone will get it into the repo.  Personally, I use GIMP every day--but I am not affected by any of those bugs, so I don't care if they upgrade or not.  If you are affected, file a bug report.

-A